Xylitol the Artificial Sweetener and How it Can Affect Your Dog

Posted in News on Monday, October 10, 2016.

These days many products contain a product called Xylitol, but what is this chemical? Xylitol is a 5- carbon sugar alcohol used as an artificial sweetener in many products. It can be found in sugar free gums but as well as candies, toothpastes, and mouthwashes.

What can Xylitol do to your pet?

If your dog ingests Xylitol it will cause your dog to release insulin, which in turn makes their blood sugar level drop dramatically.

How quickly can Xylitol affect your dog?

It is estimated that symptoms will being to develop about 15 minutes of consuming this chemical however with some products it may take up to 12 hours.

What are the signs you as a pet owner would see?

Some of the symptons you may see with Xylitol ingestion would be, vomiting, collapsing, seizures, dark red mucous membranes (gum tissue in the mouth), bleeding disorders, liver damage, and loss of coordination (unable to walk normally).

What is involved in treating a dog with Xylitol toxicity?

Treatment of this toxicity is dependent upon when you are aware of consumption. If it is soon enough vomiting may be induced to help remove the ingestion of the product. Blood work is done to assess liver function and possible bleeding disorders. Hospitalization and monitoring glucose (sugar), and liver values may be necessary. This chemical has the potential to be very toxic so if your pet is one to “get into things” keep products with Xylitol locked up or in high cabinets or do not keep in the house!

It's imperative that you seek help immediately if your dog begins to act strange, especially if they got into something they shouldn't have earlier that day.

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.