It's Halloween Time: Beware of Chocolate Candies for Dogs!

Posted in News on Wednesday, October 05, 2016.

It's Halloween Time: Beware of Chocolate Candies for Dogs!

It's that time of year where everyone is getting ready for trick or treaters. We go to the store and buy candy in hopes of seeing kids come to our door, or we take our children out in hopes of getting lots of candy! We need to remember many of the candies can be toxic to dogs. Chocolate is one of the culprits leading causes of toxicity for dogs at this time of year. According to Pet Poison Helpline they have a 12 percent increase of calls during the Halloween season.

Chocolate is loved not only by humans but by many dogs as well. The chemical within chocolate called methylxanthine is dangerous to animals. It acts like caffeine in dogs causing high heart rate, shaking, diarrhea, pacing, seizures, and even possibly death. Dark chocolate, baking chocolate, and dry cocoa powder are the most dangerous due to them being very concentrated. Treatment is available for chocolate consumption and usually involves making them vomit, oral charcoal administration, and possibly hospitalization.

If you think your dog has consumed any chocolate, immediately contact your veterinarian for guidance. If we are closed contact an animal emergency facility or Pet Poison Helpline. With quick action many dogs can avoid the effects of methylxanthine. Remember to keep the chocolates out the reach of your dogs during the spectacular spooky season!

Animal and Bird Hospital of Clearwater: 727-796-2552
Pet Poison Helpline: 855-764-7661
ASPCA Poison Control Center: 888-426-4435

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.